Welcome to the October instalment of In the Spotlight. Today we are meeting brothers Ewan & Luke White! The boys have been regulars at HFSA for a long time. Luke attends basic skills and Ewan is in the advanced skills session. Here's what they had to share with us:
1. How old are you? ~ Ewan: 9. Luke: 5
2. Tell us about you and your family: ~ Ewan: I live in Hessle with my brother, Mum, Dad and two cats. Luke: I have an older brother and go to All Saints Infants School
3. Who is your favourite football team? ~ Both: Ipswich!
4. Who is your favourite footballer? ~ Ewan: Lionel Messi. Luke: Luke Chambers (Ipswich Captain)
5. How did you first hear about Hull Football Skills Academy? ~ Ewan: I went to Soccertots from 20 months old. Owen was one of my coaches there and I followed him when set up HFSA. Luke: My brother had joined HFSA so I started going too. I had been to Soccertots before this
6. When did you start your football journey with the Academy? ~ Ewan: When I was 5. Luke: Last year, when I was 4
7. What made you stick with HFSA? ~ Ewan: I like it! Luke: It's fun!
8. Do you play football in a team? ~ Ewan: Yes, for Hessle Rangers Colts U10's. I'm usually a striker or a wide midfielder. Luke: No, maybe when I'm older
9. Do you have any other hobbies? ~ Ewan: I like drumming, gaming and drawing. Luke: Lego and playing games on my Dad's tablet
10. What do you think is the best part of your academy sessions? ~ Ewan: All of it. Luke: Playing a match
11. What is your favourite football skill, and can you do it? ~ Ewan: Rainbow flick, yes I can do it. Luke: Backheel. Yes!
12. What other activities would you like to see at HFSA? ~ Ewan: Shooting practice. Luke: I can't think of anything else!
13. What advice would you give to someone new wanting to join us? ~ Ewan: Just come along and enjoy yourselves. Luke: It's fun, so come and join in.
We asked Ewan and Luke's Mum and Dad if they wanted to comment. This is what Justin and Suzanne had to say:
"Both our boys really enjoy going to HFSA, even if Luke gets a bit upset when he doesn't win!
Owen is a great coach and he puts on good sessions with varied activities. It's helped Ewan and Luke not just learn about football, but about teamwork, listening and much more.
Owen's coaching has helped Ewan develop the skills and confidence to start playing for a team (Hessle Rangers Colts) last year and fit right in. Although Ewan trains once a week with the team he didn't want to stop going to HFSA too.
One of the things we like is that there are a range of ages in each session. Although it can be daunting for, say, a 9 year old to play with 11 and 12 year olds, I think they learn a lot from the older boys in the session and it develops them more quickly. They're certainly better footballers than their Dad was at their ages!"
We really hope you continue to enjoy your football journey for years to come, boys. A big thank you to the White Family for participating!